Xavier Sevillano Domínguez
Before enumerating the publications that have originated from my research activities, a few words about how it has evolved from 2001 to present.
My first research steps were oriented towards the field of speech enhacement. In particular, I worked on the use of adaptive filtering techniques for noise reduction, an application known as adaptive noise cancellation. Moreover, I also studied the use of blind source separation techniques, such as Independent Component Analysis (ICA), for separating and locating speakers in multi-microphone environments.
In 2003, the direction of my research activities suffered a notable shift, as I started working on text analysis, focusing on its application on multi-domain text-to-speech synthesis systems. In particular, I worked on the design of hierarchical text classifiers, using ICA for feature extraction. Given the unsupervised nature of ICA, I focused on the problem of unsupervised text classification (or text clustering), analyzing the behaviour of multiple feature extraction techniques (such as Principal Component Analysis, Non-negative Matrix Factorization or Random Projection) in this context.
Given the lack of inherent superiority of none of these feature extraction techniques, I started to think of ways of combining the outcomes of multiple unsupervised classifiers, a task called consensus clustering, also known as cluster ensembles.
In parallel, I also studied the application of feature extraction techniques for multimedia data processing (analysis and synthesis), putting special emphasis on the problem of multimedia data clustering.
From June to December 2011 I was a visiting researcher at the Multimedia & Vision Research Group of the Queen Mary, University of London. My work there was focused on multimedia indexing, with application to geo-tagging video resources.
Click on the following link in order to see a list of my publications sorted by subject.
Aside from that, I have been a program committee member and/or reviewer for the following international conferences and journals:
· International Conference on Industrial, Engineering & Other Applications of Applied Intelligent Systems (IEA) 2010 (Special session on Ensemble Learning)
· IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo (ICME) 2011, 2012
· IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP) 2012
· European Conference on Computer Vision (ECCV) 2012 (Workshop on Information Fusion for Concept Recognition)
· IEEE International Conference on Machine Learning and Applications (ICMLA) 2012 (Special session on Machine Learning with Multimedia Data)
· IEEE Transactions on Multimedia
· IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems
· Elsevier Pattern Recognition Letters
· Elsevier Knowledge Based Systems